Thursday, March 24, 2011

I hate roller coaster rides....

I don’t understand why every time I start talking to my dad his blood pressure begins to rise. Maybe I should stop talking so much about random things and attempting to be funny. I think I’ll be able to sleep tonight, I just keep getting more tired. I’m going to miss our flatulent star wars friend though, he was a rather nice guy, but we do have a few more house guest, wonder what exciting stories will come. I think we’re going to have an intense game of yahtzee and/or phase 10 tonight as well. Not to talk trash or anything of the sort, but I’m pretty confident I’m going to kick some butt.

I’m still on cloud nine (why do they call it cloud nine by the way, I think cloud three is overachieving enough) about my dad tonight. He was so responsive and he kept squeezing my hand. He even tried to talk to me a little and I had to explain to him that he had a tube in his throat to help him breath, and that we’re hoping they start to work to take it out tomorrow. This is the most awake he has been since I’ve been here, I haven’t talked to the nurse (she’s a little more shy) but they may have decreased the sedation a little, but I’m still stoked!  It was a great encouragement that I needed. I feel like finding a long hall and skipping all the way down it (I have no idea, it just popped in my head).  Hopefully tomorrow brings great things as well. I’m so happy I may even my nice to my stepsister (Courtney)!
 Thursday
Turns out everyone was too scared to play yahtzee and phase 10 with me, so they’re going to work up their courage today and attempt to play. Everyone is getting pretty exhausted, and we’re so happy to see dad responding a little more. I think it makes it easier on us to relax knowing he’s starting to do better. He’s still critical but much better than he was.

Last night I felt like there was at a lawnmower convention, I even thought to myself that I missed the other guy. There were two  ladies joining the party in the waiting room and they sounded like turbo charged machines their ability to make that sort of noise kind of impressed me.

We just got back from talking to the doc and the rest of the new medical team that is working today, it’s definitely a change from our normal routine and those nurses and doctors that are familiar with us and our crazy family. I’ve never really understood why people can’t deal with change of medical professionals taking care of family members, but now I understand! The doctor was fairly positive. They’re going to start weaning him on all his sedation medications, and start to wake him up. Let’s hope he doesn’t get very anxious. This doctor is pretty proactive and is going to start to weaning the vent.  He said he probably won’t come off of it today, but they’re going to try. Let’s hope for the best! Pray that he’ll tolerate that his levels will stay up. His kidneys still aren’t functioning but that’s not a primary concern at the time. Although the renal doctor did say he is not concerned about them starting back up.  He said that it could take 2-3 weeks for them to wake back up!

Today’s visiting hours haven’t started off all that good. We walk in and see that his blood pressure has skyrocketed and that he’s sweating pretty bad. We have to ask the nurse about it and what’s going on, and she tells us that he didn’t tolerate the wean (a.k.a the cold turkey stop of sedation) well so they aren’t going to try again today. Of course we didn’t handle that too well and Trish and Chris being the hard headed individuals that they are (don’t tell them, but it’s probably a good thing at this time) let the nurse know how they felt about that, and so she consulted with the doctor and they agreed to try again. We just simply want to stay in the loop and not have to find out things on our own. I think we’re just used to the bar being set high, and then when we come in and not see the friendly face we’re coming to love, we get anxious as well. They agreed to let Chris back and try to comfort him as they attempt to wean him again. Please be praying HARD today that we’ll be able to comfort and calm him, and that he begins to progress. And I’m sure we may need a little patience as well, but I think we can handle that focus all your prayers towards the big guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment