Thursday, March 24, 2011

Merry-go-round and round and round..

The roller coaster of today keeps on going, it’s definitely been an interesting day. The nurse warmed up and ended up being fairly decent, but the respiratory therapist has a few things to learn. Dad did fairly well today, he was pretty much breathing on his own for about 6 hours or so. His blood pressure was elevated but it stayed fairly consistent and in a decent range. We’ve talked them into letting at least one of us in the room at all times to help comfort him when he starts to wake back up and become a little more alert. He starts with feeling the tube in his mouth and tries to bite down on it at times to get rid of it. We have to let him know what has happened, where he’s at and what it’s used for, or typically we just get it “it’s ok dad, try and relax we’re here with you” (which as I write that I’m not sure how that is any comfort at all when my sisters and step mom say it)

When I was sitting in the chair holding his hand and bantering about random thoughts, I started to think about a lot of things. One of the things I’ve been thinking about it is that I definitely need to marry a nurse. (I’ll regret saying this) If Chris (a nurse) wasn’t at the house, dad definitely wouldn’t have been with us. She (surprisingly) knew what to do and did the best of her ability so we’re able to spend more time with dad, I guess I’m indebted to her for that.

I was also considering how important family actually is, I can’t imagine being in a hospital and an unfamiliar environment with no clue what was going on. We have no idea what dad is thinking or what he remembers, but we know he can hear you at times. Sitting in the room watching the clinicians in action irritated me at times, because they don’t treat the patient as a person. When I was in school it was stressed that we need to tell the patient everything that is going on, who we are, and what we’re doing even if they aren’t responding, we don’t know what they can hear. For those of you who know me and know my pet peeves as a therapist, it’s when someone treats a patient who is non-verbal as a kid. Don’t talk to a 54 year old (sorry dad) as a child, don’t talk to him as if he is 4 or 5 - talk to him as you would if he’s able to respond back. The therapist came in today (and no I didn’t reveal I was a therapist until later) and worked his legs for 10 mins or so and definitely woke him up and increased his blood pressure. Her technique was poor and she demonstrated poor posture but I wasn’t judging.

Around 5 they decided to put dad back on the vent for the night, Chris and I were in the room (thankfully) when dad started to have a large spike in his blood pressure, his eyes opened and he turned really red, we jumped into action to start to comfort him and realized the respiratory therapist was doing something. After asking he told us that he is turning the vent back on. Dad was resisting which is fully understandable. You can tell he felt like he was choking and was searching for help, the respiratory therapist eventually went and asked the nurse for a little sedation to help calm him down and we requested suction. This irritated both Chris and I  because no one had a clue what he was doing, and it only makes sense to give a little more sedation when something is going to change like that, or at least tell the patient!!!!

The plan for tomorrow is to take him off the vent and hopefully get the tube out of his throat. He’s only on one IV now which is great but he’s getting a few more meds as needed.

I feel bad I’m not trying to complain in this blog, it’s just simply expressing my thoughts and life in the hospital. It’s kind of funny we’ve kind of transformed the waiting room into our house. We have taken it over and get offended when people walk in without taking their shoes off (not really).  We have the opportunity to meet a lot of really cool people in the waiting room, and we’ve had the opportunity to help comfort them as well. If you’ve ever met my aunt (dads sister) you know how amazing she is at making everyone feel so comfortable and she has such a kind heart. She’s had the chance to sit down and pray with the families and be a friend in time of need it’s been pretty incredible to witness.

It’s strange how a situation like this can bring so many people together and even strangers. I’ve been thankful for all the opportunities we’ve been presented and it’s definitely been memorable.

I keep telling my dad he better get ready because I’m going to sit in his room and we’re going to cheer like animals for the Ohio State game together. His room is looking pretty spectacular with drawings, Cleveland gear, daily bible verses and prayer request and even an Arkansas pennant.  

 A huge prayer request for tomorrow is to help dad with anxiety tomorrow. I don’t want him to get worked up and start fighting with everyone because he’s unfamiliar with what happened and where he’s at. We’re also praying his kidneys will start working, and that his blood pressure stays low.

I don’t know how I haven’t mentioned it until now but dad did have dialysis again today. They increased the volume from 3L to 5L (which is equal to 11 pounds). The guy who ran dialysis actually asked if he could play the harmonica for big pops (my words not his). He then played a lot of Christian songs for dad and it was pretty neat. John (the dialysis dude)  would play for anyone new who came to visit dad in the room. We told him how everyone else in our house (waiting room) wanted to hear him so he actually went in after his shift and played a song for them!



No comments:

Post a Comment