Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs." Henry Ford

Attempting to sleep on two chairs, lights that that don’t turn off and a TV with sportscenter on a continuous loop is really not a great condition to sleep in. I’ve never been to the chiropractor but I think I’m going to have to start if my back and neck feel this way again. So today started off with some good news. Hopefully I keep getting good birthday news throughout the day.

The doctor called us in after rounds this morning and had mostly good news for us. He said the brain has full function from what he can see which is a good encouragement! His liver is starting to work, his heart is looking strong and his lungs are getting better. The doctor was attempting to lighten the mood and a tried to make funny and said dads kidneys feel insulted and aren’t working yet. He started dialysis today which filtered the blood and take place for the kidneys and hopefully it will just be a short term thing. They are also put in a feeding tube so he can get some nutrients (I know the south can cook, but I don’t think they put good food in these things.) The doctor also said there were no signs of pneumonia but we’re not out of the woods yet.

They turned him last night and Tricia said he was coughing and looked like he was in a bit of pain which is fully understandable when you have a 100 pound crazy lady (Step mom) bouncing on your chest doing CPR and breaking half your ribs.

It’s about 2 now, and I’ve been back to see him a couple times. He was on dialysis and the nurses today that I have meet have seemed pretty good and they know I’m concerned about developing pressure sores and turning him. They can’t move him to another larger bed until he is more stable so he is stuck in this one for a little while longer. We talked to another doctor and he wasn’t as upbeat at times and was worried about dad becoming septic so he is starting antibiotics to help prevent it. All his cultures have come back negative so far, so that is good news!

He hasn’t been too responsive with us today so far, he’s kind of wiped out and dialysis will definitely do that to you. He’s moving both of his feet and I made sure to remind him after this I’m never touching them again. He squeezed his eyes together a little to show that he heard me as he has done a few times before.

He’s still in severe critical condition, and they have been able to lower the amount of oxygen and it’s on 50 % so his lungs are doing about half the work themselves. I’ll go see him again soon, and will continue to update on his progress. A gain large or small is a gain and we savor each one no matter what. We’re thankful for the chance we’ve been given so far!

As I was sitting up/curled up/ squished in the two chairs I put together I was reminded once again how much you can tell about a person through their eyes. I really noticed this in Haiti, but I was certainly reminded of it again last night when I saw his bright eyes looking at me, even as short as it was, it was so reassuring. I haven’t seen him open his eyes today but I know that he hears us when we’re in there talking to him.


My aunt (Dads sister) and a couple cousins arrived today, and I had requested my aunt bring some material to spruce up the room. She knocked it out of the park with having just a couple hours to prepare for it. Of course we’re going to decorate with Cleveland gear so we have a Sweater vest t-shirt, an Indians flag and cap, and two rally towels that are perfect. One of the towels as the words “rise up and believe” and the other has “one goal.” These towels were from the Cavs games-- when they were actually good and in the playoffs! Also, my stepsister’s kids have drawn their Papa some pictures to remind them how much he is loved!  All of these are great motivation for his recovery and of course the sports stuff brings back great memories.

It’s about 6 right now and I just got out of visiting hours again, he was still not very responsive. When my grandma came in she wanted him to move his feet and so I asked him to do that for her and he moved them up and down a few times! He’s been coughing a little more and is clearly in pain when he coughs, he wants to move his arms to hold his chest but because they’re tied down he can’t get them up, and he really doesn’t have much energy to fight it. During one of his coughing spells Trish asked him to squeeze our hands and he did it 4 or 5 times in a row, and it was definitely some encouragement we needed.

There hasn’t been much of a change throughout the day, and people have felt sorry for me because this has been going on during my birthday. But really the best gift I’ve received is my dad still being here with me. It sounds cheesy and lame, but going through this has made us remember how important family and others are to us.

2 comments:

  1. It is sad that it does take something like this to bring people together. But I can say that it really shows you how many people do actually care. We may travel different paths and go our separate ways but at least the people that we meet in our lives have had an impact and didn't just pass by like ships in the night. Best wishes and positive thoughts still flowing.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're posting these updates about your dad, Scott. We knew both him and your mom (when they were teacher and student!) when we were teachers at Calvary Christian School. Prayers are going up from here in Fort Wayne, Indiana. (P.S. Sending birthday wishes your way...God does gives us our lives one moment at a time, whether in sickness or health. Thanks for reminding us that each one of those moments is a treasure.)

    ReplyDelete