Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Did you save room for dessert?

Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done...were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare. Psalm 40:5

Saturday was pretty much a non-stop praise party! Dennis' cousin Dawn arrived early (yes Scott, armed with her famous sweet tea and peanut brittle) and I'm not certain who was happier to see who, Dennis-Dawn, Dawn-Dennis or me watching them both but regardless we shared a day of acknowledging how our mighty God's hand has moved! A variety of doctors, nurses, therapists and staff popped in to say hi to Dennis as word has spread about his miraculous recovery. Courtney, Quincy, Brenda, Gabby, Marcus-Lucas and Elena joined in hearing Dennis now communicate by way of our temporary best friend, the Passy Muir. There are just so many sweet, sweet stories, along with a few comical ones, they go on and on and on. In speaking with one of the respiratory therapists she commented on how "clinically" this is so incredible, and how inspiring to those in the medical profession to witness such a story. From March 20th to present Dennis' story clearly demonstrates that only God, our maker determines our final breath.

Dennis has successfully been off the ventilator for two days and can wear the Passy whenever he wants other than when sleeping! He continues to identify pain in his right hand with a consistent grimace whenever his 5th digit (pinky finger) is even slightly touched. An x-ray did not reveal breakage so further plans are being made to evaluate it. He continues to need Potassium but has progressed with the tube feeding and a swallow study should occur soon with the hopes of beginning some pureed foods (he's really wanting to chug down a big gulp or route 44 size drink.).

The evening hours were a far cry from Friday night. Dennis peacefully slept the majority of hours between midnight and eight with the exception of 3 short times . There were no jerking movements of the arms and legs, shifting or restlessness, attempts to pull on wires or tubing, or extreme bouts of coughing. I could only praise God as I sat beside him praying for this to continue, and thank each and every one of you that have been praying, your prayers are making a difference and they are being answered! Our night was not without a little humor, as Dennis' nurse Freda teased him about the pink nail file I was using on his toe nails (they were borderline becoming weapons) and that he might wake up with pink nail polish and his respiratory therapist Lisa told him he better be careful touching the buttons on the side of the bed, especially the third one because it would eject him out the window, such fun to see his huge grin again and a bit of a chuckle attempting to escape through his speaking valve. I can't stop asking, who I am that God should allow me to witness all these marvelous happenings. 
During his next awake time I was able to play an Easter message for Dennis that Tricia had sent and watch him glow. I then asked him if he would like to hear some of the blogs Scott had written. I asked if he would prefer the most recent or to start at the beginning and he choose the beginning. For all of you who left comments, he was truly touched as I read your remarks and names. After each entry I checked to see if he wanted to continue and he would say yes. When we had completed several his eyes began to show signs that he might be able to dose off again. Following another hour and half rest we were nearing morn and choose that awake time to talk about Easter and the resurrection of Jesus and pray together. It was certainly a different sunrise service however the most meaningful one I have experienced. Dennis once again returned to a peaceful nap prior to Chris's arrival following work which briefly proceeded my departure for the airport.

This blogger shall now return this space to its' originator but before doing so would like to share how my heart has been enlarged by the incredible care, commitment, constant advocating and being a voice for Dennis when he couldn't speak, such immense love that Chris has showered upon Dennis. She has been our Esther, " for such a time as this."

I also must put a plug in for the St. Joe ICU respiratory team. For those of you unfamiliar with the old T.V. series Charlie's Angels, good search it, and know those angels pale in comparison to Dennis's Angels - Kristi, Lori, and Lisa! Many doctors and very special nurses have been the hands and feet of Jesus for which we shall eternally be grateful for.
Christ is Risen by Matt Maher

NEWS FLASH.......Dennis was able to begin eating by mouth, not the pizza he was wishing for but he is one step closer!!!!!!!

Ok Simmer down folks, I’m still here. I believe that the mystery blogger did a great job (thanks auntie). I also think she realized that the blog a little more difficult to write than one would think. She was a little late on the deadlines, but other than that she did lovely. Because of her late assignment some great things have happened since then. I called Chris on Easter to see how things were going (yes I do actually call her at times) and much to my surprise a heard a deep “hello” on the other end of the phone.  It was Dad, I think I was a little overjoyed and probably squealed like a girl, but I was happy to talk to him. He sounded great, and I could understand mostly every word he was saying. I asked him if he was feeling ok and he responded with a “no.” I was surprised by that, and as I dug deeper he told me his hand hurt pretty bad. I’m not really sure what’s going on with it, but I’m sure he fell on it initially and maybe tore some ligaments or it just hurts from being poked and prodded so much. I told him again that he’s doing great, and he’s making me proud with how hard he’s working. I’ve been amazed at the progress he’s made, and he responded again with a “I’m trying.”  I also had to remind him that he’s doing much better since I left, so he had to know Chris wouldn’t take care of him like I did.  We talked about Easter dinner with the family and Jeff at one of mine and my dad’s favorite restaurant in Cleveland. It’s a Brazilian steakhouse where they bring 16 different kinds of meat to your table and of course it’s all you can eat.  I told him that Jeff eats like a girl, and he needed to come up and show him how to eat and he responded with a simple “ya, I’ll show him how.” We also told him that he needs to come up because we’re getting playoff tickets for the Indians since they’re starting their season off so well.

Yesterday Dad did great, he finally moved out of ICU after 37 days! It’s been a long road, but miracles have happened and he has been fighting like a champ. I told dad that he needs to be careful moving to another unit, because I need to come down and flirt with all the nurses again so that they’ll take extra special care of him. There is talk about taking out his trach if he continues to do so well. He has been breathing on his own for quite a few days and he even ate a good breakfast today. His food is pureed and his drinks are nectar thick. It basically is food thrown in a blender with water added and his drinks are just a little thicker so that he can swallow it easier for the time being. He had cream of wheat, apple sauce, mystery meat, biscuits and gravy for breakfast.  I’m hoping it’s better than that food I ate in the cafeteria when I was there, because it really didn’t even smell like something I wanted to eat. And I’m sure it looks the same pureed as it did normal.

3 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord! I have been praying for my friend and BCUS classmate! Keep up the good fight!

    Tina (Buck) Larson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news Scott and mystery blogger. Scott, I told you it was your breath that was keeping your Dad unresponsive, that's why I sent the spidey toothbrush!! You left and he is rapidly improving :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome awesome news!! I'm so glad God has worked such a miracle in Mr. G. God bless you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete