Friday, April 1, 2011

Step by step, day by day

The nurse on last night, I have termed sergeant nurse. This lady is intense, she’s very good at what she does and knows her stuff, but if she wants something done a specific way, you better do it! She instills a little fear in me! Since the balloon pump was removed last night, dad now has a garden hose sized hole in his femoral artery. They have a clot that has formed and I was given “strict” instructions not to touch the bed, or over stimulate dad in any way. I was kind of afraid to even touch him for the fear of having to do pushups or running a few miles. We did figure it would be best, to just let him relax and not bother him since the femoral artery does release blood at 6 liters per minute, it was in our best interest not to dislodge the clot.

Yet another interesting night in the waiting room, it was packed again and some of our beds were taken, it feels kind of weird to have extra people in here we don’t know. Living in here for 12 days definitely makes this seem like a home, and you get into a routine. The guy smelled like smoke and snored a lot. However he couldn’t last on the couch very long, he soon went to one of the sweet pleather chairs and then finally to the floor where he tried to finish the night. I just looked at him during each change and thought to myself “it’ll get easier rookie.” He was with a lady who seemed more interested in reading her monthly of vogue than anything else, however he committed the cardinal rule of giving the girl a remote. Not just any remote but OUR remote. We do have a little nook taken over with a lot of stuff, and the remote was sitting out (We like to keep it hidden to play games on people) and he pranced on over took it and gave it to her. I’d be more than fine with letting her pick a station, but if she has control of the remote I can just imagine what we’ll be watching on our lovely 18 inch tv that had to be one of the first colored tv’s. I don’t know about other guys (Quincy, my American idol loving step brother doesn’t count in this vote) but lifetime movies or soap operas isn’t something I’d normally choose to watch. I eventually went to sleep still being on edge that she is in control of the remote, but it has been recovered, no worries.

In the midst of the remote crisis and lack of sleep I was receiving, I had plenty of time to put some thoughts together, and realized how thankful I am for the opportunities I’ve been given. I’ve had the pleasure of talking to another one of my Haiti friends who is an adult cardiologist and receive a little advice and reassurance on the situation. I’m so thankful for the willingness of others and those who have never even met my dad to give up their time to help in any way they can. I can’t really express how thankful I am for the kindness of those who have supporting us through this so far. It really does mean a lot and it makes the entire process easier for us to handle.

Pops was woken up by his hiccups and coughing when I was in the room this morning and although it looked painful, I’m glad he woke up and opened his eyes. He seemed to be looking at me, but he was definitely in la la land and I’m not sure if he really knew I was with him or not. He was pretty worked up, and it was hard to see. As he was looking at me, I began to become concerned again with one of his eyes. It seems as if his right eye is not tracking (following movements) as it should. I could just be overly concerned or cautious, and it’s something I really shouldn’t worry about at this time, but I want everything to work out perfectly without any side effects. Although I haven’t been concerned with neurological issues up to this point, it does worry me a little. I’ve talked to the nurse about it, and she seems to think that there is no issue which is encouraging, but I’m still not sold on it yet.

As I was chatting to the doctors today they were mentioning about putting in the trach as well as peg tube. The reason they’re considering taking out the NG tube (tube through his nose) is because he’s starting to develop a lot of mucous (snot) from his nose, and they don’t want it to become a big sinus infection that will only complicate things. The peg tube, is a tube that inserts directly into his stomach that allows the milkshake looking medicine to go directly into. Another doctor came in and was talking to us about putting in the trach, they felt the best option was to do it today, before the weekend staff (makes me feel confident) arrives. As I have said in earlier post, we feel like the trach is a great option.  It’s much easier to wean him off the vent with it, and it’s not as traumatic to the airway. There is no tube inserted, it’s basically just a hole in your throat that is barely noticeable after it’s fully healed.

For those of you who aren’t aware, today is April fool’s day. I have successfully pulled off a great prank even in a time like this. I was able to get in contact with administration (One of Chris’ best friend)  and have her write a formal suspension letter for Quincy being out of dress code last week (wearing house shoes). Dana wrote up a great letter and an even better story, she had him sign the 3 day suspension and he bit hook line and sinker. He was visibly upset, and wasn’t sure how to act. He was mostly shocked that someone turned him in for wearing inappropriate footwear. He called Chris outside the waiting room and told her he was suspended. I called him over to ask a question and he didn’t want to talk to me. I had to draw him closer again, and I just looked at him and simply said “April Fools.” He looked at me like I was nuts, and responded with “April fools what?” With a puzzled look and everyone laughing he asked if “this was serious” (holding the letter of suspension). He finally caught on, and told us we were idiots and walked out of the room smiling. I feel as if I should watch my back the rest of the night. I’m also plotting to take a jelly filled doughnut, take the jelly out and fill it with ketchup to “make up” to him!

I’ve received two packages today which have been amazing, I’ve gotten girl scout cookies, chocolate, a spiderman toothbrush, a blankie, color books and crayons (don’t make me say that), easter bunny ears, sweet star sunglasses, more junk food, peeps and magazines! I’m rather excited about these amazing presents. I didn’t need or want anything but I must admit it made me smile. I thank my wonderful friends who sent them, and helped lighten the mood a little.

The plan for pops as of now is to take things slow, I’m not sure how quickly they’re going to try and wean the vent, but I know the cardiac doctor said they’re going to start weaning his debutimine (which is a medicine that increases cardiac output). It’s going to take quite awhile to wean and it’s going to be slow. She said that she would more than likely start on Monday. He’ll probably still stay sedated and heal a little more. He’s still having issues with bowel sounds, but his urine output is increasing and his creatinine and BUN levels are decreasing. It’s been a good day so far with gains.

No comments:

Post a Comment