Thursday, April 14, 2011

Report: Mayor to take brief leave of absence Sunday.

Today has been a pretty good day, I don’t think dad has moved a muscle but he is on the highest dose of this new medicine that he can possibly be on. I believe I mentioned in the last blog that this medicine is really only suppose to be on for 24-48 hours, which brings into question what to do next. I think they’re trying to take it down slowly already to help ease the process tomorrow. He stayed on volume support for around another 8 hrs today and tolerated it well. He was still pretty snowed because of the drugs, but he seemed to actually be sleeping for the first time in awhile. His fever has decreased to slightly above normal, and his rash has seemed to go away. One of the fentanyl patches have been taken off and the drip is no longer on. The kidney function is back to normal, but his sodium levels are still a little elevated. One of the doctors was starting to talk about the irregularity of his CT scan and was talking about doing a lumbar puncture so that they could analyze the Spinal fluid to search for irregularities.

I have been able to tell a difference in the staff and their communication recently. It may just be because I’m starting to like the new nurse. I’m not really sure why she’s growing on me, because she doesn’t suck up but she knows her stuff, jokes around and most importantly takes good care of my dad. She’s an advocate for taking down the medicine slowly and efficiently. She’s willing to talk to the doctors and be a liaison for us. She’s good at communication and has a halfway decent and humorous personality. I feel slightly bad about terming her as a nerd although it wasn’t bad, I just didn’t know another way to describe her. She told us that they were talking about what nurse they wanted to pair with us tonight so that the care and personality will match. It think they did pretty well from what I could tell with my first interaction. I’m usually fairly good with first impressions and seeing what type of nurse they are going to be and she passed. She’s a little thing and seems to be very sweet. I’ll have to check on her a little later to see how’s she’s doing and if she’s still on my good list.

As mayor of the waiting room, I have many responsibilities to uphold. I am in charge of answering the phone (or delegating if needed), greeting new guest, and even helping set up beds. There is an older lady here with her brother-in-law who has termed me “sweet beans.” It’s kind of funny, and I have no idea why she started calling me that. She asked me what my real name was, but I told her sweet beans was fine and she has to tell everyone that story. I’m pretty sure it made her day. There has also been a guy in here, who looks like he’s fresh off the farm with the stained jeans and everything. I started talking to him yesterday and I’ve realized to never judge a book by the cover. This guy is a literary genius. He was talking to me and I was floored by the stuff he was saying. He has written three books and is talking to Hallmark about publishing some of his quotes to put on cards. To look at him I’d never in a million years have guessed he would have been so good with words, but I will admit it once and probably only once, I was wrong.  I felt bad I couldn’t talk to him any longer, but since things were going so well I had scheduled a meeting earlier in the day.

I met with some of the directors of therapy today for outpatient and inpatient. I have to leave soon to go home and take care of some things, go to a few appointments and take the test I have missed. I plan on coming back as soon as I can. I know I’ll need to work a little because it’s been winter so my money tree hasn’t grown as well indoors as it does outside. I was initially going to go to my “networking” meeting in my sweet house shoes, but I figured that wasn’t the best option. I think the best option here would be cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, and since I clearly don’t have those, I chose my sneakers. It was nice to meet the other therapist and sort of see how things worked down here. It’s a bit different, but everyone seemed great and I think it would be a good crew to do some part time work with if I stayed here for another few weeks. I’m not saying I’ll look into it more, but at least I know the option is there if I need it.

I’m planning on leaving Sunday and taking my grandparents back home as well. I’m trying to convince my grandmother that I’m only taking my grandpa with me and she has to find her own way back. Of course she knows it’s not true, but it’s fun anyways. It was tough today because I knew I wouldn’t see a couple of the nurses and staff again before I leave and we’ve developed pretty close relationships. Denise is such a sweetie and she’s a great nurse. I think she spoiled us a little too much with her personality and sucking up to me, but she has great qualities. You can really tell when someone loves their job and she is a prime example. I’ve said it before at places where I work, if you don’t enjoy your job it shows, and the patients can tell. I know for some people it’s hard to get out of a job you dislike,  but you’re not the only one miserable if you hate it, your patients will be miserable with you as well.


It’s definitely going to be hard to leave, and it’s not going to be easy not getting a first hand look and grasp on all the information. It’s both easier and harder to be here. My aunt described it perfectly today, with a roller coaster analogy. Being here is being on the ride, you experience all the emotional ups and downs throughout the day, whereas those who aren’t here are at the end of the ride watching it after the ride has stopped and you can’t get on it. The blog is a view of the coaster with the ups and downs put together so you get it all in one taste.  I enjoy having a direct input in what’s going on with his care, and talking to his healthcare providers and giving my input, and I think it’s going to be difficult when I can’t do that for awhile. I want to help as much as I can and do everything I can to help ease to process for everyone. In my absence my sweet family aunt and uncle have decided that they will come down each weekend and help so that Chris can go to work and not stress out too much about everything that’s going on.  I may even give a few guest blog spots if the opportunity arises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment